Day at the Lake Tapping Event
- When: Thursday June, 13th
- Time: 5 PM to 10PM
- Location: Peace Tree Brewing – Des Moines Branch
Join us at Peace Tree Brewing as we tap “Day at the Lake” to celebrate Easter Lake!
This beer was named in support of the Easter Lake Celebration & Mark C. Ackelson Trail Grand Opening on June 23 with Polk County Conservation and the Easter Lake Watershed Project.
Bike to Peace Tree and get a free beer! Tickets will be handed out upon arrival or after the tapping event from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. by a Polk County Conservation staff member. *Beer ticket must be redeemed same night.*
***Due to flooding around the Des Moines area, we are cancelling the bike ride from Peace Tree to Easter Lake Park.
Style: Pale Lager
Profile: Brewed with pale malted barley for clean malt flavor & golden color. Generously hopped with Amarillo hops for medium bitterness & Mosaic for tropical flavor and aroma.
Easter Lake Celebration & Mark C. Ackelson Trail Grand Opening
Celebrate the long-awaited Grand Re-Opening of Easter Lake Park with us on Sunday, June 23 from 1 – 5 PM! Celebration activities will take place near the beach, located off of Watrous and Evergreen Avenue in Des Moines (2883 E. Watrous Ave). Get hands-on with one or all of these fun summer activities:
• Paddle in a canoe near the beach
• Pontoon Boat rides (Courtesy of Bass Pro Shops) – Limited rides available – first come, first served.
• Screen print your own t-shirt with The Side Garage
• Explore interactive displays that tell the Easter Lake story
• Make seed balls made of native plants
• Bike with Mark C. Ackelson around Easter Lake
• Chill out with FREE ice cream (Courtesy Hy-Vee – Euclid | while supplies last)
• Cast a fishing pole on one of the newly constructed jetties
• Get your hands wet during a pond study with PCC Naturalists
• Hunt for insects near the rain garden
• Identify different types of fish with the Iowa DNR
• Take native plants home with you compliments of the City of Des Moines
• Learn how to conduct water quality testing
• Rehydrate at the Des Moines Water Works Water Station and take home a free water bottle from UnityPoint Health – Des Moines
• Bird watch with Wild Birds Unlimited
**Biking to this event is encouraged, as there will be a complimentary bike valet and a bike safety check station, courtesy of Street Collective, located in the beach parking lot. A bike ride, led by Mark C. Ackelson, will also take place after commencement speeches. Please follow signs for event parking. Shuttles to and from the designated parking area and the event site will be provided.
EVENT IS FREE TO ATTEND!
Easter Lake Project Partners:
• Polk County Conservation
• Easter Lake Watershed Project
• Iowa DNR
• City of Des Moines
• Polk Soil and Water Conservation District – IA
• Natural Resources Conservation Service
• Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship
• Environmental Protection Agency
• Grand Opening Ceremony Speakers @ 1:30
• Bruce Trautman, DNR Acting Director
• Tom Hockensmith, Polk County Board of Supervisors
• Joe Gatto, Des Moines City Council
• Jim Bollard, Easter Lake Neighborhood Association President
• Mark C. Ackelson, Former President of Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation & Trail Namesake
• Richard Leopold, Emcee
• Kim Reynolds, Governor – Invited
• Mike Naig, Secretary of Agriculture – Invited
Find other upcoming events by clicking the following links!
- Rain Barrel Workshops
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Informational Events
- Easter Lake Watershed Parks and Trails
Learn to build your own rain barrel at one of our upcoming workshops!
Stay up to date with the Easter Lake Watershed Project by attending an informational event
Volunteer With Us! Each year we have a need for volunteers to help us clean up Yeader Creek, Easter Lake and Ewing parks, remove invasive species and more. If you are interested in participating in an upcoming event check out the events below or Contact the watershed coordinator. While we work on planning events and finding volunteers to participate, … Continue reading Volunteer Opportunities
Sometimes we just need to have a little fun at Easter Lake Park. Check here for upcoming nature hikes, snowshoeing, trail info, park amenities, and more!